Suzanna's Weekly Blog
September 14, 2015
I was out and about in the electorate last week.
- On Tuesday, on the 5:15am train with the Fairley Leadership participants headed to Melbourne for their study tour. Great to sit with them, listen to their views and hear of the diverse backgrounds they represent. What an impressive group of future leaders.
- I was in Barmah on Wednesday and visited the Yenbena Indigenous Training Centre culturally appropriate training for Indigenous young people.
- Then on to my Community Catch up at the Barmah CFA station. Many issues raised for me to follow up. I visited Barmah National Park to view for myself concerns about lack of access to the park. Then on to Ulupna to see the condition of the levee banks. Thanks to everyone for welcoming me at Barmah and along the river and for helping to organise a very productive day.
- I was honoured to be asked to be a key note speaker at the Latrobe University for their “Social Cohesion and Regional Development” lecture along with Professor Kate Auty. Good to hear the interesting research and discussions and about Latrobe’s desire to conduct further research in our area.
- On Friday, I welcomed the Attorney General Martin Pakula to Shepparton to announce the design of the new Shepparton Law Courts building. He discussed justice issues, met with local lawyers and Koori Elders, the Greater Shepparton City Council and visited the Shepparton Harness Racing Club.
- In my office, I met with many constituents including members of the Numurkah Flood Action Group.
- I heard from constituents on a wide range of issues including advertising regulations on gambling machines, traffic noise reduction in Numurkah and subdivision of land.
- A quick reminder that The All Aboard Shepparton campaign are at work again with a new event planned. We want everyone to get on board and bake a “train cake” to enter in the novelty cake section of the Shepparton Agricultural Show (Shepp Show) on 9 & 10 October. Entry forms are due by 18 September 2015. They can be found here: http://www.sheppshow.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Novelty.pdf
It’s back to a very busy week in Parliament this week with some significant legislation to be debated.